Health Advocate Code of Conduct
Caregiver Champion joined the Alliance of Professional Advocates this year. They subscribe to the following Code of Conduct and Professional Standards, as does Caregiver Champion. The Health Advocate Code of Conduct is as follows:
- Health Advocates will practice with compassion and respect for the clients and families with whom they work.
- Health Advocates’ primary commitments are to promote health, safety, and rights of their clients.
- Health Advocates will, maintain privacy on behalf of their clients and will keep confidential all activities and records according to them, and any applicable laws.
- Health Advocates will guide and assist their clients in medical decision making but at no times will make decisions about health or medical care or payment for medical services on their behalf.
- Health Advocates will promote use of their client values and belief system as the foundation of decision making.
- Health Advocates will at all times practice within their competency. Any request for services outside the advocate’s expertise will be referred to someone else who is equipped to provide these services to ensure the client is benefiting from the best knowledge base.
- Health Advocates will, at all times, work within their professional boundaries and will reject any requests or demands that would cause them to violate those boundaries. Such violations may include, but are not limited to, accepting money or gifts as compensation for referrals to other to other professionals, fulfilling requests to perform illegal and unethical actions, developing a romantic or sexual relationship with a client or someone related to the client, agreeing to perform any duties without the disclosure or input needed from the client, or any other circumstances that could result in conflicts-of – interest or the inability to fully perform the work the two parties have agreed upon.
- Health Advocates will not discriminate. They will at no time refuse to work with someone due to the person’s race, religion, gender, or sexual preference.
- Health Advocates will continue to pursue education to further their knowledge base, skill set, and practice in order to provide clients with the most current information relevant to his/her health situation.