Choosing a nursing home is very overwhelming. As a licensed nursing home administrator who also teaches nursing home courses, I have created some helpful tips for choosing the proper facility for you loved one.
- Talk to people who have been to that facility about the care.
- Visit the facility on a tour and then go back and view the facility after 5:00 pm when the administrative staff is not there.
- Check out the dining experience. Is the dining rooms home like or institutional?
- Review the monthly activity calendar. Do they have outings in the community? Is it enriching and engaging?
- If you’re loved one is going there for short term rehab-talk with the rehab staff. Also, do they have a separate floor or unit for their rehab patients? If not, then alert oriented residents will be in the same area with confused residents.
- If you’re loved one is staying long term; do they have specialty units for dementia or provide a stimulating environment like the Eden alternative which is vibrant and has plants, pets and music.
- Check out cms.gov nursing home compare. The surveys for all nursing facilities are listed there and given a star rating system from 1 star to 5 stars being the best.
- Contact Senior Assistance so that we can help you navigate the nursing home maze as well as help if your loved one is not getting the proper care they deserve.