HOW TO LIVE TO BE 100
A TRIBUTE TO LEON STECKEL MY MOTHER IN LAW’S SECOND HUSBAND
Who passed away Friday August 9, 2013 at age 100 +72 days
- Eat all you want 3 meals a day, but do not snack between meals of after dinner. Leon loved to eat but only ate when he was supposed to!
- Bowl to the age of 94! Yes, I said bowl!!! Bowling is an anaerobic exercise and a strengthening exercise. If you do not like bowling find a similar exercise to do several times a week. PS Leon had a 200 average!
- Save money and be frugal. If you’re going to live to be 100, you need your money to last. Leon might have even been on the cheap side, but he did have enough money to live on and his wife (my mother-in-law). She now has enough money to live on for quite some time since he passed away.
- Stay married. This is a surprise! But people who have a partner have a constant companion that they can share life with. This is the second marriage for both of them. (By the way my mother-in-law is 91)
- Learn how to accept death and loss. After all, the longer you live the more people who you will know who have passed away or become ill.
- Use imitative. People are always ready to give you advice but decide what’s best for you. This includes doctor’s advice. People used to call Leon Dr. Steckel because he would do what’s best for him. One doctor quit seeing him as a patient, because he wouldn’t follow his advice. However Leon still lived to be a 100.
- Flirt! Even if you cannot achieve physical satisfaction, keeping your mind young never hurts and it’s good for your self-esteem.
- Stay positive! And have a sense of humor! No one wants to hear you complain. Leon never complained about his health and always tried to prove he was strong.
- The old adage, as you age, you think of yourself as 20 years younger. If you think this way the oldest you can get is 80.
- So Leon, you might not have known this but you lived your life as many of the so called experts have prescribed. So maybe you are more of a Dr. Steckel than everyone thought!
Rest in Peace, Leon, as your Memory and Teachings live on!!!!